Sophie laughed today. It was this beautiful, delicately simple laugh. It almost seems like she had been working on that laugh behind our backs--without our knowledge--trying to get it just right before she shared it with us. And today she presented us with this wonderful gift: a laugh. Her first, pure laugh. And I got to hear it. I wasn't at work when she unveiled this gift of herself. I was at home. We both heard it. And we both loved the sound that swirled around us for one brief moment. Now all I want to do is make her laugh once again so that I can try to memorize the sound of her voice, the movement of her mouth, and the excitement in her eyes as she laughs.
"You see, Wendy, when the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."--J.M. Barrie in Peter Pan.
She also is starting to form such distinct cries. It's kind of funny to hear her try out new pitches as she discovers her voice.
In honor of the newest Harry Potter movie out today "MUGGLE" (thanks for this Aunt Kristen):
3 comments:
the first laugh is one of the most beautiful sounds. so glad you were there to hear it :) i can't wait to hear it too! i love looking back at video of sam's early laughs. hope you can catch it on video soon. love you! give her a squeeze and a kiss for us.
A couple of weeks ago in my blog daybook under "one of my favorite things:" I wrote, "the sound of my childrens' laughter, no matter what their age".
It starts with that first little laugh and continues to be precious to your ears:)
I can't wait to hear her sweet little voice!:)
Love,
Grammy
Beautiful! The 2 of you are great writers and you capture the joys of new parenthood so well!
Brock sings to Emerson for his nap times and at night before he goes to bed. Two days ago, when we were trying to get him to go down for a nap, Brock had stopped singing and Emerson was really quiet and then, he started singing! The sound of it was beautiful and clearly different than his "talking" voice!
Last night, I was looking through pictures of him as a newborn and was mourning the loss of "little" Emerson. Brock responded with "Each stage has it's own joys. He was little and cuddly back then but now he SINGS!" So true, so true.
Post a Comment